In 2016 Blackfriars Priory School celebrated 800 years of the Dominican Order. The following video was produced to commemorate the occasion.
History in Pictures
Fr Jerome O’Rorke, Prior of St Laurence’s Priory, negotiated with the Lewis family for the purchase of their property known as ‘Comonella’ for the purpose of establishing a Dominican Friars school. ‘Comonella’ is an aboriginal name meaning ‘come on fellow’. The house was also named St Catharine’s after the wife of a previous owner.
The school was officially opened on 25 January 1953.
John Robins & John Haines were the first two students to enter the school grounds.
The first 100 students and staff pose for a group photo
Br Christopher made the statue of St Albert the Great in1962.
There were the Expeditions which took the boys into relatively unknown regions of Outback Australia. Here the boys are descending down an 80 ft. steel ladder to Koonalda Cave below.
Nullabor Caves Expedition group in 1960 showing the boys inside Koonalda Cave, one of the larger caves.
St Catharine’s viewed from the Priory opposite on Prospect Rd
The 1970’s saw the school compete in the television show It’s Academic. The team won in South Australia and were placed second nationally.